Welcome to the Adirondack Mountain Club! We hope that this information will answer any questions that you might have about your upcoming stay in the Johns Brook Lodge. This letter is also designed to let you know what to expect: a cozy and convenient base camp in the central High Peaks Region, and what not to expect: Showers, flush toilets, electricity, and blankets/linens. Johns Brook Lodge is a 3.5-mile hike from the Garden Parking lot in Keene Valley. The lodge accommodates 28 people in four bunkrooms. Two of the rooms sleep 10 people and two of the rooms sleep 4 people. Pillows are provided. Guests must bring sheets and blankets or sleeping bags and towels. Propane is used for all cooking and lighting. There is a woodstove in the living room. Coffee is provided.
See JBL Property Map here.
JBL CARETAKER SEASON:
Caretaker service is available at JBL from Labor Day until late June. During Caretaker season, a caretaker is available to provide trail information and oversee the lodge. There is no crew to serve meals, however, the kitchen is available for guests to prepare the food that they pack in. The kitchen includes refrigerator space, pots, pans, dishes, and cutlery. The JBL kitchen is outfitted to prepare and serve 28 guests during full service. Guests are expected to do their own dishes and clean up after themselves. Guests should bring closed-toe cabin shoes.
Water – running water is available at JBL from mid-May until mid-October. From mid-October through mid-May there is no running water; during this time water must be collected from the brook. This will be a shared effort between guests, staff, and volunteers. Collected water must be filtered, chemically treated, or brought to a rolling boil for a minimum of 2 minutes before use (NYS Department of Health recommendation).
JBL WINTER MONTHS:
Meals should be kept simple as washing dishes provides an extra challenge during the winter months. Guests are expected to do their own dishes and clean up after themselves. This experience will be similar to winter camping with supplemental heat provided by the woodstove in the Great Room. Guests are strongly recommended to bring sleeping bags rated between 0 degrees and -20 degrees Fahrenheit. In addition to a warm sleeping bag guests should bring plenty of warm non-cotton layers and an extra pair of closed-toe inside shoes or warm slippers.
Trails in Winter Months – Snowshoes or skis are required by the DEC whenever there are 8 or more inches of snow. Microspikes or crampons should also be brought on all winter hikes. Summits: Temperatures will be colder, winds will be stronger, wind chill temperatures will be much lower, snow will be deeper, and ice will be present.
JBL FULL SERVICE:
The full-service season runs from the last weekend in June (call for exact date) until the Monday after Labor Day Weekend. All meals are included in the reservation rate beginning with dinner on the day of arrival and ending with a packed lunch on the day of departure.
- Wake up bell is rung at the start of breakfast
- Breakfast is served 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
- Trail lunches are prepared in advance and available to take on the trail.
- Dinner is available ONLY at one seating beginning at 6:30 p.m. Food is served family-style and there is rarely remaining food available to late-arriving guests.
- Meals for those with dietary restrictions (gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan, and allergies) are available. To prepare them, we need to know at least 24 hours in advance. There must be real dietary restrictions and not preferences for picky eaters.
The kitchen and refrigerators are not available to guests during full service due to logistical reasons. The lodge does have a place to store food that doesn’t need to be refrigerated, so feel free to bring a few snacks.
INFORMATION PERTAINING TO BOTH JBL FULL SERVICE AND CARETAKER SEASON:
- Check-in is after 3:00 p.m. – Please check in staff/Caretaker upon arrival.
- Check-out is by 10:00 a.m.
- Blankets are no longer offered. Please bring appropriate sleeping bags/linens.
- Quiet hours are from 10:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. After 10:00 p.m. we request that you use flashlights when entering the bunkrooms, so as not to disturb other guests.
- Showers and toilets – There are two washrooms with vault toilets. However, there are no showers.
- Guests must provide their own towels, sheets, and sleeping bags. However, pillows and mattresses are available at JBL.
- Pets are not allowed in JBL and are not to be tied outside the lodge.
- Smoking is not permitted in JBL.
- GUESTS MUST REMOVE THEIR OWN GARBAGE and leftover food. (A fee of $50-100 will be charged to guests that do not hike their garbage out with them.)
- IF YOU CARRY IT IN, PLEASE CARRY IT OUT, including all of your trash.
- Children under 12 years old are half price. Children under 2 years old are free.
- Payment in full is due at least 30 days prior to arrival through the Adirondak Loj.
- Methods of payment – Guests may pay their bills by cash, check, or credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, and American Express are accepted).
- Damages/Housekeeping Fees – ADK reserves the right to charge the credit card on file with your reservation for any damages to ADK property or extreme uncleanliness.
- Member rates – A 10% member discount is available to ADK members for food and lodging. Please give your membership number when settling your bill.
- The JBL Store is located in the lodge and carries some last-minute basic necessities, novelties, and ADK merchandise. Please bring cash if you wish to purchase items in the store.